Join Our Team!

Joining LDOE means joining a reform minded organization with one focus-to improve the opportunities for Louisiana’s children. For a list of employment opportunities, click www.jobs.la.gov, for LA Careers, the state’s online application system and search by agency: Education-State Activities

Some positions require applicants to earn a minimum score on a standardized test. The job posting will indicate required testing. Learn more about testing.

Current Openings for Unclassified Positions:

​There are no openings available at this time.

Become a Teacher

Are you interested in becoming certified to teach in Louisiana? Please visit www.teachlouisiana.net.

Troops to Teachers

If you are a veteran of the U.S. military, you may be eligible for Troops for Teachers, a program that places former servicemen and servicewomen in schools. Please visit www.proudtoserveagain.com



Benefits

The Louisiana Department of Education has a rich benefits package, which includes:

Health Insurance

Full-time permanent employees are eligible for health insurance and may choose from multiple plans. The state pays 75% of the insurance premium for the employee; employees must pay the remaining 25% and insurance coverage for dependents. Information about plans is available at the Office of Group Benefits.

Retirement

Louisiana has two retirement systems – Louisiana State Employees Retirement System (LASER) and Teachers Retirement System of Louisiana (TRSL). Employees are required to contribute 8% of their gross salary to one of the retirement systems.

Employees hired before June 30, 2006, are eligible for full retirement benefits after 30 years of service and for partial retirement benefits after 20 years of service. Employees may also retire with full benefits at age 55 after 25 years of service or at age 60 after ten years of service.

Employees hired after July 1, 2006, are eligible for retirement benefits at age 60 after five years of service or after 20 years of service, with variable benefits based on length of service.

Employees who are vested in another state retirement system, such as the Teachers’ Retirement System of Louisiana, may remain in their previous system.

Paid Holidays

State employees are paid for eight holidays, including New Years Day (January 1), Mardi Gras, Good Friday, Independence Day (July 4), Labor Day, Veterans Day (November 11), Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day (December 25).

The Governor may proclaim additional holidays during the year, including Martin Luther King’s Birthday, Memorial Day and Acadian Day (day after Thanksgiving).

State employees receive a paid holiday for Federal elections (second Tuesday of November in years ending with an even number) and for inauguration day for Louisiana statewide elected officers.

Leave

Full-time permanent employees earn sick and annual leave based on their years of service. Leave may be carried over from one year to the next.

Years of Service

Biweekly
Earning Rate

Sick Leave

Annual Leave

Total Leave

0-3

3.668

12

12

24

3-5

4.608

15

15

30

5-10

5.536

18

18

36

10-15

6.456

21

21

42

15+

7.384

24

24

48